Fresh fruity facts
A glance at CJ’s menu, particularly the drinks and desert sections, reveals that fresh fruit features heavily. In addition to being delicious and packed with health benefits, there are many more secrets that these superfoods hold. Eating more fruits daily could significantly reduce the risk of many chronic diseases, high blood pressure, obesity, heart disease and some cancers. What do you really know about the fruits around us?
Technically, a banana is classified as a berry. Bananas have a natural antacid effect in the body, so if you suffer from heartburn, try eating a banana for soothing relief. Despite its name, a strawberry is not actually a berry and each contains up to 200 seeds.
There are over 7000 types of apples grown around the world; each tree capable of producing up to 400 a year. One of thereasons for their popularity is their healing and restorative effects. An apple is a very refreshing tonic for oily skin. It makes an excellent remedy for fine wrinkles, cracked skin, itching and inflammation.Since an apple is made up of 25% air, it easily floats in water. Which leads us to another succulent fruit, the pineapple.
The pineapple is actually a berry. Its core contains high levels of bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme,an effective anti-inflammatory, muscle relaxant, and digestive aid. This makes it a perfect choice for dessert. Did you know that you can speed up the ripening of a pineapple by standing it on its head (the leafy part)?
Next time you want to impress your friends and loved ones, here a few more fun facts about fruit that show that they are truly one of nature’s wonders.
- Tomatoes are a fruit not a vegetable. Tomatoes are the most popular fruits in the world.
- Oranges contain antioxidants that help fight the free radicals that damage and age our skin.
- Lemons can kill bacteria-as they have high content of acid which makes them suitable for cleaning.
- Lime oil (from the lime fruit) is useful to cool fevers. It can also stimulate and refresh a tired mind and helps with depression.
- Eating an apple is a more reliable method of staying awake than consuming a cup of coffee. The natural sugar in an apple is more potent than the caffeine in coffee.
- A half-cup of figs has as much calcium as a half-cup of milk. Calcium helps in bone formation and growth.
- An avocado is a fruit and not a vegetable! This nutritious member of the berry family is quite popular the world over.
Fruits and colour
- Red fruits help keep your heart strong.
- Orange fruits help keep your eyes healthy.
- Yellow fruits boost the body’s immunity.
- Green fruits help make your bones and teeth strong.
- Blue and purple fruits help your memory.
Serve up your thoughts below and let’s make a meal of it.
WE APPRECIATE YOUR FEEDBACK
We'd love to hear your feedback; good or bad. If we didn't make you feel special, we'd like to make it up to you. Please let us know what happened during your visit and we'll get in touch with you soon.
The information you provide us will be treated in the strictest confidence and may be used for improving our service delivery purposes. A copy of the completed form will be automatically sent to the email address supplied.